Personnel selection and assessment; including test and exercise design
The selection and appraisal of employees according to valid and reliable analysis of jobs and sound psychometric principles.
- Conducting, understanding and evaluating job analysis and descriptions.
- Identifying and developing appropriate selection tools.
- Proficient in various selection techniques such as personality and cognitive ability testing, work sample design, and structured interviewing.
- Proficiency in various appraisal techniques such as rating scales qualitative and quantitative appraisal methods.
- Jackson, D. (2016). The Internal Structure of Situational Judgement Tests Reflect Candidate Main Effects: Not Dimensions or Situations. Journal of Occupational and Organisational Psychology, January.
- Sibley, C.G. & Pirie, D.J. (2013). Personality in New Zealand: Scale Norms and Demographic Differences in the Mini-IPIP6. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 42, 1.
- Chris G. Sibley (2012). The Mini-IPIP6: Item Response Theory analysis on a short measure of the big-six factors of personality in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 41, 3.
- Chris G. Sibley, Nils Luyten, Missy Purnomo, Annelise Mobberley, Liz W. Wootton, Matthew D. Hammond, Nikhil Sengupta, Ryan Perry, Tim West-Newman, Marc Stewart Wilson, Lianne McLellan, William James Hoverd & Andrew Robertson (2011). The Mini-IPIP6: Validation and Extension of a Short Measure of the Big-Six Factors of Personality in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 40, 3.
- Duncan J.R. Jackson & Paul Englert (2011). Task-Based Assessment Centre Scores and their Relationship with Work Outcomes. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 40, 3.
- Jackson, B., & Fischer, R. (2007) Biculturalism in Employee Selection or â€˜Who Should Get the Jobâ€™? Perceptions of Maori and Pakeha Job Applicants in a NZ European Student Sample. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 36, 2.
- Jackson, D.J.R., Stillman, J.A. Burke, S., & Englert, P. (2007). Self versus Assessor Ratings and their Classification in Assessment Centres: Profiling the Self-Rater. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 36, 2.
- Wright, S.L., Burt, C.D.B. & Strongman, K.T. (2006). Loneliness in the Workplace: Construct Definition and Scale Development. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 35, 2.
- Johnson, L. (2006). Reducing Stereotype-based Judgments: The Impact of Habitual Stereotype Use. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 35, 1.
- Ding, D.J. and Stillman, J.A. (2005). An Empirical Investigation of Discrimination Against Overweight Female Job Applicants in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 34, 3.
- Guenole, N. & Chernyshenko, O.S. (2005). The Suitability of Goldberg’s Big Five IPIP Personality Markers in New Zealand: A Dimensionality, Bias, and Criterion Validity Evaluation. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 34, 2.
- Palmer, S. (2005). Psychometrics: An Ancient Construct for Maori. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, Vol 34, 1.
- Panckhurst, S. (2003). Selector PA: Criterion-Related Predictive Validation Study. University of Canterbury Masters Thesis.
- Sisarich, H. (2003). Internet-Based Assessment Testing. Registration Project
- Guenole, N., Englert, P., & Taylor, P. J. (2003). Ethnic group differences in cognitive ability test scores within a New Zealand applicant sample. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 32(1), 49-54.
- Taylor, P, Keelty, Y., McDonnell, B. (2002). Evolving Personnel Selection Practices in New Zealand Organisations and Recruitment Firms. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 31, 8 – 18
- Black, J. (2000). Personality Testing and Police Selection: Utility of the ‘Big Five’: New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 29, (1): 2 – 9
- Hambleton, A., Kalliath, T., and Taylor, P. (2000). Criterion-related Validity of a Measure of Person-Job and Person-Organisation Fit. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 29, (2): 80 – 85.
- Taylor, P, Mills, A., O’Driscoll, (1993). Personnel Selection Methods Used New Zealand Organisations and Personnel Consulting Firms. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 22 (1)
- Singer, M. (1993). Diversity-based hiring: an introduction from legal, ethical and psychological perspectives. Aldershot: Avebury.
- Singer, M. (1993). The Application of Organisational Justice Theories to Selection Fairness Research. The New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 22, (1).
- Shouksmith, G.(1989). A Construct Validation of a Scale for Measuring Work Motivation. The New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 18, (2).
- Elkin, G.R. and Sneyd, C.(1989). The relationship between performance on the graduate management adminissions test (GMAT) and academic results for Grduate Management Studies. The New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 18, (2).
- Thomas, D.R.(1988). The Development of a Maori Knowledge test. The New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 17, (2).
- Assessment Centre Study Group
- Job Analysis and Personality Research
- Regional IO Psych Chat Groups
- Ask a peer to critically review your work
- Prepare or review a best practice guideline in the area
- Aim to read an article regularly and review it for the practical implications for your work
- Canvas a post graduate University Course to refresh your approach and be exposed to the latest literature